Coracora

Coracora
My City!!!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

One Week Into Peru

I honestly cannot believe that I have already been in Peru for a week. It seems like I only came yesterday! The flight from Atlanta here was absolutely amazing, the sunset from my seat was so beautiful and just a fresh reminder of God´s magnificence. We arrived in Lima at about 11:00pm and made it to our hostel at about 2:00am. FYI: going through customs and immigration went very smoothly, I got a greenlight! So thankful! For those of you that do not know, you walk through this part and you either get a greenlight or a redlight. If you get a redlight they take you over to the side and search all of your stuff. God is definitely already come before us becaues I don´t think that any of the 20 of us on that flight got a redlight at all. We began the long but adventurous day with an Amazing Grace race. It was a scavenger hunt through the whole city of Lima with our teams that we will be serving with this summer. The task included everything from buying team t-shirts to sliding down firemen poles to drinking frog juice. Which I must say wasn´t as bad as it was made out to be. It had a lot of honey in it but was very frothy, made for a great adventure.

We then went to the camp where our orientation was. I met some amazing people there that I will never forget. My heart is so excited for God´s movement through these cities and villages, I cannot wait for the Fire to fall down over this place. God is definitely breaking my heart of many things right now. Thing after thing keeps trying my trust in the Lord but this is what I have been praying for. I tried to get money out of my account and it wouldn´t work so I tried to call my mom with my cell phone because I have an international plan and my phone wouldn´t work. So I went to a pay phone and got a hold of her and have gotten her to get in touch with my bank so I can use my card. However, now that I am in Coracora there is no place here that will let me use my card to get money out. I am definitely trusting and I know God is going to provide.

God is already moving here in Coracora. I am on a team of four people: me, Albee, Ben, and Allen. We have held two bible studies in a matter of a 24 hour time period and will be having another one tonight. A man came to know Christ yesterday at our bible study and hearts are opened to us being here. We went to the orphanage yesterday and it was so amazing. Those kids definitely touch my heart in such an amazing way! I cannot wait to spend these next two months with them and getting to know them better. God is opening up huge doors that we could never accomplish alone and I am so thankful that Go is opening up the hearts of these people and continuing to show us different ways in which we can serve. My Spanish is slowly but starting to pick back up. It is going to take a while and a lot of practice but I hope that I can begin to communicate with these people soon. My heart is so excited about spending the next two months in this place even if I am living off of chicken and rice for every meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodi! So you are making me jealous of you...haha J/K but really it all sounds amazing! so glad to hear from you...ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers! God is good ALL the time! love you so much!
~Cortney